D&T – Design, Make, Evaluate
All children to access an engaging design-make-evaluate curriculum within STEM
“Design and Technology should be the subject where mathematical brainboxes and science whizzkids turn their bright ideas into useful products.” James Dyson
At Brockwell Junior School we aim to give pupils:
- A knowledge and understanding of materials, components, controls and structures.
- Practical tasks to develop skills using tools and handling materials.
- The opportunity to investigate, disassemble and evaluate a range of simple products.
- The opportunity to design and make real world objects.
- The skills to evaluate and modify existing systems to improve their functionality.
- To understand how food is prepared safely.
- To enjoy food and begin to work creatively with different ingredients.
- A safe working environment (in accordance with the guidance given in “Make it Safe”).
- We aim to develop children’s ability and confidence in formulating ideas in the designing, making and evaluating process.
Whole days such as the KNEX Challenge Day, Towers, Build It! and Enterprise enrich the teaching and learning of this subject.
Food technology develops into ‘Come Dine with Me’. Year Six children develop a menu from concept to authentic hospitality which develops aspiration alongside developing practical and economic skills required.