A Young Carer is a child under 18 who regularly helps to look after a family member or friend who is disabled, ill, has a mental health condition or addiction problem.
Children may engage in:
- Practical tasks (cooking, housework and shopping)
- Physical care (lifting or helping someone use the stairs)
- Personal care (dressing, washing, helping with toilet needs)
- Managing the family budget (collecting benefits and prescriptions)
- Managing medication
- Looking after younger siblings
- Helping someone communicate
Brockwell Junior School can support young carers. If you, or a family member needs support please contact Miss Holmes, the Young Carers School Operational Lead, on 01246 278542 or via email . All contact will be treated in the strictest confidence.